Re: SQL*Net2 connection terminating suddenly

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 11 Sep 2003 13:59:03 -0700

"Dim Gool" <moution_at_rambler.ru> wrote in message news:<bjpuhr$m39j0$1_at_ID-206880.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Dear enlightened experts!
>
> Please, sorry for my bad English.
> I have decided to try to disturb you by my question.
> I have an Oracle 7.2.2.4 running on SCO Unix 3.2v4.2,SCO Unix
> 3.2v5.0.5.
> We tried to begin to work via SQL*Net2, SQL*Net1 currently in use and
> will stay on.
> But when Oracle session has been established, it breaks in some
> seconds with
> ORA 03113 Error "end of file on communication channel". It notices,
> that this is
> preceded with switching of listener port in status FIN_WAIT2 on a server
> side, after that any attempt to run sql raise 03113.

On most unix (I haven't touched SCO in 10+ years, but what the heck), FIN_WAIT2 is either the final step in a disconnect handshake, or evidence that something is creating a simplex connection (that is, processes that only listen for data). I don't think sqlnet does the latter, so you are likely to have to tweak TCP keepalive parameters - your OS environment is probably deciding on a timeout much too fast for the listener, which ends the communication channel. man tcp, man socket, etc.

> We've observed it on all servers, irrespective of operating system,
> Oracle versions are all the same.
> But I use two machine for diagnostics, with SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 / SCO
> Unix 3.2v5.0.5 and Oracle 7.2.2.4
> installed on them. They work correctly, without breaks on SQL*Net2!
> All machines are connected to the
> same switch, have the similar LAN adapter(Intel UTP 10/100). SCO Unix
> 3.2v4.2 with SCO TCP/IP release
> 1.2.1L + net382 + net398b, SCO Unix 3.2v5.0.5 with SCO TCP/IP release
> 1.2.1EB.
>
> Could you specify me, what to pay attention on?
>
> With respect,
> Deem.

jg

--