Re: Problems with SS7(WinNT) -> O9i(Solaris) Migration...

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:50:47 -0700

Richard Crawford wrote:

> I've been breaking my head over this one for a couple of weeks now.
>
> The source database is an MS-SQL Server 7 database living on a Windows
> NT server; the destination is an Oracle 9i database living on Solaris
> 9.
>
> I've been trying to use the Oracle Migration Workbench to migrate the
> database, but after two weeks, I have had no success. At every
> attempt, I get the following error:
>
> "failed to map index :
> oracle.mtg.migration.MigrationSQLException: ORA-01400: cannot insert
> NULL into ("SA"."OM_INDEX_INFO"."TABLE_NAME") :ORA-01400: cannot
> insert NULL into ("SA"."OM_INDEX_INFO"."TABLE_NAME")"
>
> This is just the first in approximately 750 similar errors.
>
> I admit that I am at a loss. If anyone can offer any guidance, I
> would greatly appreciate it.

Its not that hard to figure out as the error message explicitly states the problem. You have a column that is set NULL and for which some values are absent and you are trying to insert a row that contains no value.

You can either provide a default value with the NVL function or you can change the column to nullable.

But please be aware that the migration tools are only there to get you started. They do not resolve any of the problems related to code and the difference between the transaction and locking models. If you need help with that level of complexity you will need to obtain the services of a consultant that understands the differences at an intimate level. (contact me off-line if you need a reference in your area).

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu