Re: tuning an simple insert-statement

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 10:29:15 -0700

Pascal Ziegler wrote:

> hi,
>
> i have to insert several values with a simple insert-statement.
>
> e.g.
>
> INSERT INTO xy VALUES (1, 2, 3, 4); -- really simple ;-)
>
> (the table has just a primary-key index!!)
>
> i did this with oracle 9i and cache from intersystem! cache
> was about 5 times faster than oracle!! is this just
> the way it is or can i improve the performance of oracle!??
> and how?
>
> thanks
> - pascal

What possible relationship can there be between a cache and an insert?

If you want to improve the speed of inserts ...

  1. Faster drives and controllers
  2. Spread I/O out over more physical disks with stripping
  3. Optimize checkpointing
  4. Use bulk binding
  5. Use the APPEND hint

I have no idea what "intersystem" is ... but if you have a 500% difference in speed between system X and system Y. Look for the real reason. This is almost undoubtedly not it.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu