Re: tuning an simple insert-statement

From: Alan <alan_at_erols.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:42:16 -0400

You can't measure something withour affecting it. That being true, different systems may have different means of implementing a measurement. Bottom line is what you may be seeing is a difference in measurement techniqies rather than a difference in insert perfromance. Also, your test is faulty. You can't project that because system A took twice as long as system B to do 10 inserts that it will take twice as long to do 10,000 inserts. A may be faster than B.

As I have always said, the only meaningful test (to you) is a test with the actual data you will use under the typical load and environment in which you will be using it.