Re: tuning an simple insert-statement

From: Pascal Ziegler <pascal.ziegler_at_bluewin.ch>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:47:25 +0200

my task is to compare the performance of a function in cache with a similar implementation in oracle. the insert-statements in the function are dynamic (not hard-coded), but for my measurement I used a hard-coded statement. cache needs about 70 microseconds to insert the values... oracle is about 3-4 times slower. i know that this measurement can't be very accurate and there are a lot of other things that influence my measurement. but the point is, (after severeal measurements) that oracle is always slower. i am a oracle-rookie, i have to do this comparison for my degree disertation (university of zurich). now i'm looking for possibilities to improve the performance of oracle. i'm not looking for the final solution... but just points where i can start to tune my oracle.

what else:
- there are no triggers firing.
- i havent traced my function... but I thought that my statement is not that complex that i can find the problem with tracing... (?)

by the way: is this a right presumption: I can't improve the performance of an insert-statement, when i build a data-cartridge (with an own index-structure). i think with an index it even gets slower...?

thank you for the help! :-)