Re: is it possible for an end user to know how many licences an Oracle server has?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 15:27:00 +0100

"Bing Du" <bing-du_at_tamu.edu> wrote in message news:bjb12u$mj5$1_at_news.tamu.edu...
> Our Oracle server has returned 'ORA-00019: maximum number of session
> licenses exceeded' pretty frequently recently. Every time, our Oracle
> DBA just killed some inactive jobs to fix the problem. This licence
> problem has affected our applications that use the Oracle. What I want
> to know is what SQL command or utility I can use as an end user to
> monitor how many licenses have been used? Therefore, if it's
> approaching the limit, we can get the DBA informed right away rather
> than waiting for the customers to report the problem to us.

It is a parameter so you would need select access to sys.v_$parameter. (then you can issue the command Sybrand states). That said, I don't see that it is any business of an end user to do this. Loss of service for end-users is something that your DBA ought already to be acutely aware of, and at least monitoring. Put it this way when folk can't access our Oracle based applications they call us, we have monitoring in place to try to ensure this is minimized because a key DBA role is making the database available when required - exceeding the number of licenses will count against availability in my book. Ultimately you will wish either to purchase the number of licenses you need, or alternatively ensure that folk log out of the system when not using it.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA