Re: Net App Filer

From: Steve Holdoway <steve_at_itemfront.ltd.uk>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 14:08:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 09:43:31 GMT, Kalle <kk.kk_at_kk.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>is anyone using Net App Filer or other Net App products in Oracle
>environment.
>
>Could I hear your comments and feedback, both positive and negative...
>
>rgds
>Kalle

They work fine! Best performance is to be had if you run an OS / network card that supports jumbo ( 9kB ) packets.

If you're running *nix, then mount options are important... for Solaris...

rw,bg,hard,intr,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,proto=tcp,forcedirectio,noac,vers=3

The important options being:
  forcedirectio: Bypasses the file system cache for all reads and writes
  noac: Disables attribute caching on client side   tcp: Mount the file system using the proto=tcp option

The first two options stop the server trying to fight with the Netapp server over who's best at IO... the server just gives up.

Steve Received on Sat Sep 06 2003 - 09:08:38 CDT