Re: SYSTEM Tablespace is FULL

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 19:06:06 -0700

Hari Om wrote:

>I am using Oracle 9.2.0.1 on IBM AIX 5.1L
>
>My following Tablespaces are 99% full....is it normal...? do I need to
>increase manually or is ti done automatically:
>TABLESPACE SIZE USED %USED
>SYSTEM 400MB 394MB 98
>EXAMPLE 138MB 137MB 99
>XDB 38MB 37MB 99
>
>Do you think increasing the above Tablespace will increase the speed
>also?
>
>Any related informaiton is appreciated.
>
>(Apologize for my ignorance)
>THANKS!

I think you have a mess. There is no way you should have 394MB in the system tablespace. Most likely what you have done is put lots of stuff into the SYSTEM tablespace that doesn't belong there. And you need to delete all of that stuff and recreate it elsewhere.

Try the following query:

SELECT DISTINCT owner
FROM dba_segments
WHERE tablespace_name = 'SYSTEM';

You shouldn't see anything there except segments created by Oracle. during installation.

I have 9.2 installed with a 250MB SYSTEM tablespace ... and 68MB is unused.

And once again ... please stop cross-posting.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu