Re: How to make a copy of an Oracle DB?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 5 Sep 2003 03:18:10 -0700

"(Pete Cresswell)" <x_at_y.z> wrote

> I'm working on a project where we're writing code to load an Oracle DB.
<snipped>

I suggest installing Personal Oracle and not Oracle Lite on your dev boxes (or notebooks).

The complex part: each developer creates his own database on his box. The good thing about this is that they will have to do some RTFM and gain some good groundwork in the physical aspects of an Oracle 9i database.

The easy part: run a simple export (from the db server) of the db schema the developers use. Import the schema into your local database.

The only problem here could be with data volumes - e.g. when exporting history/audit tables that is 100x the live table size. In which case only import the definition of the table (i.e. having export create it without loading the data).

--
Billy