How to make a copy of an Oracle DB?

From: Pete Cresswell <x_at_y.z>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 01:09:09 GMT

I'm working on a project where we're writing code to load an Oracle DB.

Only problem is that The Powers That Be can't seem to spare the disk space to give us our own real copy of the DB - much less separate copies for different developers. Instead, we get a single schema within another DB.

This las led and will continue to lead to various productivity-lessening situations.

What I'd like to do is rip off a copy of the test DB and install it on a laptop running Oracle Lite or whatever.... and then use it to my heart's content without stepping on anybody elses' toes.

If it were an SQL Server DB, I'd just get an admin to make a backup, create a like-named shell DB on the laptop, then restore the backup over top of the shell.

I *might* talk the admin into making an Oracle backup...and then I might not...and Oracle Lite or whatever *might* have the tool to do a restore and it might not...

If I can get a backup and have the tools, can I play the same game I would have played under SQL Server?

Since the whole development effort is loading data, I don't really need to copy any existing data - just all the objects - although the contents of AVT tables would save some work...

I've got SQL Programmer, but it seems to choke when asked to generate scripts for the whole DB at once. (12,000+ objects....).

Alternatives?

PeteCresswell Received on Thu Sep 04 2003 - 20:09:09 CDT