Re: Annual Oracle World Database Survey

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 22:21:51 -0700

Joel Garry wrote:

>Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:<D1f5b.159402$2x.45327_at_rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net>...
>

>>As many of you will know, we (Oracle Database Development) survey the
>>attendees at Oracle World every year to determine such mind shattering
>>things as
>>1) Sizes of databases in use
>>2) Versions of software in use
>>3) Options/Features in use
>>4) Satisfaction with different Functional areas
>>
>>This years survey is a little different, in that it is online.
>>

>The survey has some poorly designed sections, particularly in not
>allowing multiple selections, or requiring an answer without allowing
>a correct answer.
>What if you have no dba's? What if you use several different
>platforms? What if you are a service organization that supports many
>things?
>

>>So you don't have to necessarily BE attending Oracle World if you want
>>to take part (hint, hint)
>>

>But one has to wonder exactly what you are surveying. Do you even ask
>if it is important to be backwards compatable?
>
>jg
>--
>@home.com is bogus.
>Lies, damned lies, statistics, online surveys.

On trying to answer the survey questions I am unfortunately required to agree. The survey questions are designed to elicit not a bit of accurate information except in the most unusual of circumstances.

I, for example, answered the questions based on the database I use most often. One user, on a laptop, where I instruct university students. I could also have answered based on the telecom system I worked on today that is an good size AIX system running 9.2.0.3 Enterprise Edition that will have thousands of simultaneous users, OLTP and OLAP components, etc. And in the case of my personal copy used for instruction ... what is my job title? Developer? Yes. DBA? Yes. Instructor? Yes.

I'd suggest fixing that survey before the results get someplace where someone might attempt to make a business decision based on the results.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu