Re: Object Table

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1 Sep 2003 04:04:15 -0700

rgaffuri_at_cox.net (Ryan Gaffuri) wrote

> ive seen some posts stating that you can significant performance
> improvements by using object views or object tables when using an OO
> front end such as java or .net. I havent tested this.

Offhand I cannot see why it will be significantly faster. Unless it has to do with not pulling vast amounts of data across to the client and processing it there, but rather processing it in Oracle. But then this is true irrespective of OO PL/SQL & OO tables or plain PL/SQL & relational tables.

As for OO tables... I would think twice before making the blanket statement that they are faster from something like .NET than relational tables being used in another environment.

SQL speed is a function of Oracle. A SQL is not suddenly faster because it comes from .NET and not plain C.

> I know that some people in ODTUG circles are using object views to
> make it easier to map an OO front end to a relational backend. They
> claim its easier and more fluid to design and maintain.

My personal preference too. Using OO in both client and dbi (db interface) level, on top of a well designed relational db schema.

A well designed OO class (be that in PL/SQL or .NET) is really worth it. In all respects (maintenannce, performance, etc.)

--
Billy