Re: Object Table

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:47:41 -0700

Mikito Harakiri wrote:

> > SELECT COUNT(*)
> > FROM person
> > WHERE person_add IS NOT NULL;
> >
> > What's the issue?
>
> No, no, no, you had person *and* organization, remember?

Do you seriously need me to show you how to do that?

Create your interim sums and total them. You are talking SQL 101.

Like I said ... surely you jest.

> > In truth you and no one else has ever been asked for the number of
> addresses in
> > a system. How many customers? Perhaps. But not addresses.
>
> That is what object propellerheads always told us. Ad-hoc querying is
> unnecessary.

I didn't say that. I said your example was without foundation. Ad-hoc querying is simple.

I would suggest a quick trip to http://tahiti.oracle.com or come take my class at the University of Washington: It is part of the basic curriculum.

--
Daniel Morgan
http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/aoa/aoa_main.asp