Re: table with sparce data

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:26:40 -0700

TurkBear wrote:

> "Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com> wrote:
>

> >"Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com> wrote in message
> >> Min Value Frequency
> >> Name
> >> ---- ------ -----------
> >> a001 0 4
> >> a005 5 1
> >> a006 0 3
> >> a011 3 1
> >
> >Missed one more typo:
> >
> >Min Value Frequency
> >Name
> >---- ------ -----------
> >a001 0 4
> >a005 2 1
> >a006 0 3
> >a011 3 1
> >
> >In other words we keep all rows with value > 0, and compress all the
> >successive rows with value = 0 showing aggregated frequency.
> >

> Still not sure what you want, but try:
>
> select name,value,count(*) from table
> group by name,value;

Don't think that's what he wants. He seems to want the program to lump zero values into the preceding entry that had a value. An analytic function might do the job but it would be more trouble than it would be worth. If I understand the OP's thing I could write the code in 7 minutes.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu