Re: ORA-01102 error.

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Aug 2003 07:18:38 -0700

sk_ind12_at_rediffmail.com (SK) wrote in message news:<83dee709.0308180207.3e20ea5a_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello group,
>
> I work on Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris 5.8.
> I have two databases in Oracle.
> When I try to start my second database I get an error -
> ORA-01102: cannot mount database in EXCLUSIVE mode
>
> On googling I found that opening in parallel mode can help. Is this
> the solution and could anyone tell me the exact cause of the problem.
>
> Thanks in advance.

parallel mode applies to parallel server only, ie when two servers are opening one database. You have only one system, so this situation doesn't apply to you.
Usually ora-1102 points to the fact that one of your init.ora's has an incorrect control_file parameter, hence the second instance tries to open the first database. You'll need to check up your control_file parameter.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Aug 18 2003 - 09:18:38 CDT