Problem with simple histogram query

From: Knut Hovda <knut.hovda_at_pti.no>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:25:07 GMT

Hello,

We have a problem with a query to create a histogram (counting occurrences in categories). Consider the following simplified example:

create table cd2 (minvalue number(16), maxvalue number(16), description varchar(30));
create table sc2 (uniformity number(16));

insert into cd2 values (0,2,'small');
insert into cd2 values (2,4,'medium');
insert into cd2 values (4,6,'large');
insert into sc2 values (1);
insert into sc2 values (3);

select count(*) as occurrences, cd.description from sc2 sc, cd2 cd
where sc.uniformity >= cd.minvalue
and sc.uniformity < cd.maxvalue
group by cd.description;

gives

OCCURRENCES DESCRIPTION
----------- --------------

          1 medium
          1 small

But note that the 'large' category is not displaying, since no rows in sc2 fall in this category . We want the result to display (sorting order is not relevant):

          0 large
          1 medium
          1 small

How can we achieve this? (We first thought this was a simple matter of an outer join missing, but somehow we seem to miss the trick here.)

In advance, thanks for your help.

Regards,

Knut Received on Tue Aug 12 2003 - 09:25:07 CDT