Really strange system problems with standalone

From: tk <theronk_at_charter.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:25:32 -0600

Hi folks:

I installed the Oracle 9.2 on my PC at home (ie, running Windows 2000). I'm doing this to learn PL/SQL for my new job. For about a week or so, things seemed to be running fine. I installed Oracle to be started up as a series of Services on bootup time rather than from the command line.

Last night, I was receiving numerous system dialog boxes (ie, svchost.exe encountered a fatal error, services need to be restarted). Only thing I had running was TOAD and the SQLPLUS. I was constantly running out of memory and such.

Only thing I *have* noticed when this happened is that I was connected to the internet thru my high speed cable modem. It took about 15-20 reboots and discovering a pattern that if I was not connected to the internet (ie, unplugged my cable modem), then things would run fine. I noticed that I had a OracleTNS Listener running (I bluffed my install so I may have installed services that I do not need)...

I have not downloaded/installed any other applications so I don't have any viruses (but my pc sure acts like one is running). The culprit is that Oracle is running when this happens *and* I'm connected to the internet. I don't know if I'm being hacked? Hard to tell as I don't have a firewall.

Next thing maybe is to uninstall Oracle (or just its services) and start it up from the command line. Whenever I get the svchost.exe error message (ie, a dialog box like the Dr. Watson), things go downhill from there. I can start up Oracle w/o being connected to the internet. I'll then plug in my cable modem (after Oracle is up and running) and about 3-5 minutes later, I'll get the svchost.exe error and then my computer will start running low on memory.... The error log for svchost in the event log is lame. All it says is "An internal error has occured with one of the service subroutines, contact Microsoft support". I really think one of the routines is one of the Oracle services running.... I have 512MB of memory so I'm surprised that I'm running out of memory when this happens.

I'm thinking just to uninstall the services and just start Oracle (without any of it's net listener services) from the command line...

Can I start my personal version of Oracle 9.2 just by running Oracle.exe [database]??

thanks, Theron Received on Tue Aug 12 2003 - 10:25:32 CDT