Re: XP Problem

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:50:15 GMT

Hi Nick Williamson, thanks for writing this:
> Hi all,
>
> I have 2 XP machines - one acting as a client and the other as a server.
> They're both running 9i. When I make the initial connection from the client
> (which can be with SQLPLUS, Enterprise Mgr Console, my application...
> anything), there's always a delay of around 5 seconds. If I try a second
> connection soon after the first one, it connects instantly - it's as though
> the server leaves a port open for a while after the first connect. I
> searched on Google and it seems to be a recognised issue for Oracle on XP,
> but there didn't seem to be a definitive answer. One guy recommended
> commenting out "sqlnet.authentication_services =(NTS)" in sqlnet.ora on the
> client, but no-one seemed to know for sure what the problem really was. Can
> anyone help me out with this?
>
> TIA
> Nick

That guy might have given you good advice. By leaving the authentication parameter in your sqlnet.ora file, you are telling the system to check your Windows login id to authenticate your ability to log into Oracle. That takes a while on your first connect.

But if I remember correctly, it's only required if you want to avoid supplying your userid/password (ie, to login with "sqlplus /"). If you always supply your userid/password, then you're bypassing Windows authentication anyhow.

Also, depending on how long you wait before attempting your second connect, you might be reusing the same thread as your first connect. In the Unix world, this behavior is possible if you reconnect soon enough because you'll most likely still have the dispatcher process running.

--
[:%s/Karsten Farrell/Oracle DBA/g]