Re: Oracle Application Architecture

From: Greg Forestieri <gforestieri9_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Aug 2003 12:52:17 -0700

"HockeyGuy" <heymorons_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<xkdWa.127351$Io.10812097_at_newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
> Lots of bright people in these newsgroups...
>
> I have oracle application (e-busiess) 11.5.3 and oracle DB 8.1.6 running on
> one HP box and it is overloaded. I have a chance to use an AIX (IBM UNIX)
> box to split the apps from the DB. To move the DB to AIX I need to upgrade
> the 8.1.7.4.
>
> Question - what do folks think about splitting the Oracle Apps from the
> Database and putting the Apps on one server OS and the Database on another.
> I know it will require testing - but how much more can it be just due to the
> OS difference. Gezz, what is everyone/anyone opinion of splitting like
> this anyway - I am really stuck and only have an AIX box to work with.
> Suggestions????

Split or together the system will work fine. Obviously with two machines you have more room to grow. I've done both and they work fine, we've done combinations of NT and Solaris, NT and Compaq's Unix, Unix & Unix, I've never heard of this being an issue. Test to be sure but fear not.

Be careful though it may not be the elixer you hope for, in our experience most of the bottleneck is sitting on the db server side. You may do a lot of work and end up with little to show for it. That is what I would test, i.e. what is to be gained. It is an increase in complexity and cost, you need to justify it.

At this time we've gone back to everything on one Unix cluster for each of our PRO systems.

Good luck!
Greg Received on Tue Aug 05 2003 - 14:52:17 CDT