Re: thank you all!!

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 20:47:02 +0100

"tk" <theronk_at_charter.net> wrote in message news:viqa0t8tlpcje7_at_corp.supernews.com...
> > Have you started exploring the OTN Sample Code & Oracle By Example
> tutorials?
>
> Not yet. I plan to though and I have saved away your emails/posts!!! A
> friend (ie, a PL/SQL guru and Oracle DBA guru for 12 years so far) loaned
> me his O'Reilly PL/SQL book. I want to go thru that one first and then
go
> thru the Examples book. I'm about on p. 400 of the O'Reilly book since I
> got it last Thursday and have been going thru alot of the examples. I'm
> finding it similar to the Transact-SQL and Informix-4GL stuff I did which
> is why I'm finding myself thumbing thru the book at a quicker pace than I
> expected.

If the OReilly book is the Steve Feuerstein one - then it is excellent.

Don't know squat about Informix, but as compared to T-SQL databases, you have to worry a lot less about locking (like hardly at all) and avoid creating tables on the fly.

As for creating a schema, well a schema is a set of objects owned by a user so the normal procedure would be

create user ....
grant object and system privs to user.
connect as user
create the objects.