Re: Is perfection attainable?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 29 Jul 2003 05:07:57 -0700

Phil Singer <psinger1_at_chartermi.invalid> wrote i

> I have been fighting some ORA 3113 errors. I am soliciting some advice
> as to whether or not my fight is hopeless.
<snipped>
> Is 100% perfection possible, or should I resign myself for
> 99.999%?

Not even 99%

There's an interesting article on the web somewhere (forgot the URL) that was written by the project lead for one of Lucas Art's titles. X-wing, Tie Fighter or something that supported massive multiplayer connectivity on the net.

The guy explains in detail the very painful experiences they had during development in making their multiplayer game work (from using TCP on a LAN to eventually UDP on the Net). Somewhere along the way he came to the conclusion that the Internet (aka global WANs) are inheritantly evil. :-)

As Sybrand said, 3113's are not just network related - let's say the shadow crashes due to an ora-600. That will cause the TCP connection to be torn down on the server without the client knowing.. and the client will get a 3113 next time around it attempts to use its socket handle for that connnection. The original cause of the error was not cause in anyway by a network problem.

If we discard that for the moment and assume (wrongly) that all 3113's are network related.. the _only_ way to prevent that from happening is to have a perfectly configured network where you have absolute control over all traffic, over ever segment, router and switch, where no ethernet rules are broken, where the pipes are never too small and collissions never an issue.

That is not possible on a normal corporate LAN .. never mind a corporate WAN..

Bottom line IMO. Even _if_ the erronous assumption that 3113's are only network related were true, perfection can not be achieved on real world corporate networks. A single misconfigured router... a massive FTP.. heck, even bugs in routers.

Side note: There was this great one in Cisco routers some years ago that was perfect for a DoS attack. Simply because it incorrectly allowed ICMP packets with broadcast addresses. You ping a broadcast address, spoof the sender and watch how every single machine do an ICMP echo to the spoof address...

Perfection? Not bloody likely mate! :-)

--
Billy