Re: Is perfection attainable?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:04:19 -0700

Phil Singer wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I have been fighting some ORA 3113 errors. I am soliciting some advice
> as to whether or not my fight is hopeless.
>
> Some backgound: 8.1.7.4 on a Sequent, with Net 8 version 8.1.7. This
> is an application running on the internal network of a major global
> company (whose internal policies require that I not mention its name).
> In its home base in the US, we have the typical fiber optic network.
> However, we also get logins from Europe and Oz, with slower lines.
> We get the 3113 when the TCP connection supporting a long running
> query times out.
>
> Now I know that by setting a few Net 8 and TCP parameters I can make
> sure that I never time out. However, then clients will hang and other
> bad things will happen. I can prevent those bad things by setting an
> even shorter time out interval, but then the 3113's will increase.
>
> Here is my question: somewhere between a very short time out setting,
> and a very long time out setting there must be an optimal setting. I
> am ready to try and find it myself, and I know that someone unfamiliar
> with my network cannot do it for me. What I am wondering, is, once I
> find this optimal setting, will I still find _some_ sessions timing
> out? Is 100% perfection possible, or should I resign myself for
> 99.999%?
>
> Thanks.

My experience with Sequent is a bit dated but before I did anything else I'd grab the installation instructions for your Oracle version from the CD or docs.oracle.com and retrace each and every step making sure it was followed. My guess ... you will find they were not.

Fix the problem and cold boot the machine.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu