Re: [Quick Question] Programming Jobs on Oracle?

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 16:47:49 GMT

Hi TurkBear, thanks for writing this:
> Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Juan Guillermo Fernández V., thanks for writing this:
> >> Hi everyone....
> >>
> >> Sorry to bother with such a basic question... but I've been unable to google
> >> it myselft properly.
> >>
> >> I'm loking for some info on programming and seting a job (syntaxis, usage,
> >> everything), but wherever I search for it, I end up finding employment
> >> oportunities ¬_¬'.
> >>
> >> So, I'm just asking for any pointers... an URL, maybe a doc... anything.
> >>
> >> For any help, thanks in advance!
> >>

> >That's the trouble with languages ... too many meanings for some words,
> >which makes it hard for search engines to determine context. <g>
> >
> >You might want to head over to http://asktom.oracle.com and search for
> >"dbms_job" (without quotes). Tom's got quite a few examples of how to
> >use it.
>
> A Google 'advanced' search for the exact phrase dbms_job returned many,many Oracle package usage related hits and no
> employment ones..
>
> Google advanced search is all I use anymore - the exact phrase selection is very powerful in limiting the hits to what you
> really want...

I totally agree! I use Google for a lot more than Oracle too ... the other day I searched for my all-time favorite Reader's Digest "build your vocabulary" word (opprobrium) ... don't know why I like it except for the fact that I've never found a reason to use it in conversation. But I found some "interesting" connections to the word.

I use the "exact phrase" search to find genealogy info, giving the ancestor's name. And who can forget Google's ability to type someone's phone number and get a map and driving directions to the their house? That'd be real handy if I were a burglar. :)

However, getting back on topic, I think the OP's problem was that Juan didn't know to look for "dbms_job" and was looking for just "job." If you do that in Google, you'll get employment hits too.

--
[:%s/Karsten Farrell/Oracle DBA/g]