Re: Consolidating TableSpace

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 17:41:55 GMT

You can create a new tablespace and move the objects to the new ts. This can be done as follows:

  1. For tables: ALTER TABLE table_name MOVE TABLESPACE new_ts;
  2. For indexes: ALTER INDEX index_name REBUILD TABLESPACE new_ts;

Otherwise, you can export the objects, drop the tablespace and remove the datafiles, recreate the tablespace, and then import the objects.

HTH,
Brian

"Rath.Yelandur" wrote:

> TableSpace (DEV_DATA) at the moment uses 8 datafiles
> DevData01.dbf ... DevData08.dbf.
>
> Some of the datafiles is larger than 2GB and the Free Bytes available is 50%
> or higher.
>
> I want to consolidate these 8 datafiles into 2-3 datafiles of 2GB each.
> This will freeup the DiskSpace for other uses.
>
> Question:
> 1. Can I create a new TS and move all the data from DEV_DATA to
> MY_TABLESPACE.
> 2. What is the preferred way of accomplishing this task.
>
> Please point me in the right direction...
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Rath

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com