Re: Advantages/disadvantages of having tables within 'SYSTEM' TS

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 11:45:14 -0700

Generally speaking your idea has some sence. Oracle separate tablespaces design looks as naive as partitioning NT hard drive into C: and D: and placing all system files into C. As if it provides better security and space management. At my work IT stubbornly continuing this stupid practice of arbitrarily dividing one disc into 2 smaller parts. As a result, my small C: partition is easily running out of space, so that I have headaches all this unnecessary space management. Although, if you are a DBA, space management shouldn't bother you too much.

Practical comment. System tablespace has some separate logic that you might be not aware of. For example, until recently skip-scan index scans were disabled on system tablespace. God knows how many other if conditions are in oracle code so that you'll get *different* functionality on system tablespace. That warning should be enough to discourage you of the experiment;-)