Re: Which is faster? <> or Between

From: Isaac Blank <izblank_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:55:57 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3F0097B2.F3CEDF47_at_exxesolutions.com...
> Pablo Sanchez wrote:
>
> > Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in
> >
> > > Now if you don't have CREATE TABLE that could be a problem. But if
> > > you don't have CREATE TABLE you aren't a developer.
> >
> > A shame that you have to give a developer CREATE TABLE on a production
> > machine to replicate the problem that 'only shows up on a production
> > instance.'
> > --
> > Pablo Sanchez, Blueoak Database Engineering
> > http://www.blueoakdb.com
>
> You don't. On a production machine you shouldn't have developers doing
> anything.
>
> The DBA should create the table. The dba should run explain plan.
> And if the DBA can't you should get a DBA that can.

    I agree that it's a DBA's job to create the table and grant the privileges. But normally I have to run explain plan several times trying to find the best version of the query. And quite often it involves more than just creating another index or re-writing the query to an equivalent form. Quite often I have to know the application and the data to be able to solve the performance issue. Having a DBA sit besides me all the times I need to run explain plan would be wasting his/her time. Received on Mon Jun 30 2003 - 15:55:57 CDT