Re: Which is faster? <> or Between

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:57:00 -0700

Isaac Blank wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Pablo Sanchez wrote:
> >
> > > Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in

> > > A shame that you have to give a developer CREATE TABLE on a production
> > > machine to replicate the problem that 'only shows up on a production
> > > instance.'
> > > --
> > > Pablo Sanchez, Blueoak Database Engineering
> > > http://www.blueoakdb.com
> >
> > You don't. On a production machine you shouldn't have developers doing
> > anything.
> >
> > The DBA should create the table. The dba should run explain plan.
> > And if the DBA can't you should get a DBA that can.
> >
> I agree that it's a DBA's job to create the table and grant the
> privileges. But normally I have to run explain plan several times trying
> to find the best version of the query. And quite often it involves more
> than just creating another index or re-writing the query to an equivalent
> form. Quite often I have to know the application and the data to be able to
> solve the performance issue. Having a DBA sit besides me all the times I
> need to run explain plan would be wasting his/her time.

Fine. But the concept here is one of moving code from Development to Test to Production.

When it is in production it belongs to the production DBAs, not the developers or the testers.
If a production DBA can't manage a production database with respect to explain plan they
certainly can't handle the more onerous task of setting up security, sga, etc.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu