Re: Pro*C makes executable very large?

From: Mike Smith <dontreplybymail_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 27 Jun 2003 01:25:20 -0700

Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<3EF90381.2060106_at_adelphia.net>...
> Mike Smith wrote:
> > Hi, I tried some simple code (C++) to try out ProC on hp-ux,
> > and I end up with an executable of size 5 Mb (!) when I compiled the
> > code.
>
> That sounds about right.

Ok, I stop worry about that for the moment.

> > Is there anyway to reduce this size (I pretty much linked to all
> > libraries to be able to compile the thing), should I be worried about
> > this size?
> >
> > I am also looking for some sample code in C++ to use Pro*C, is it not
> > possible to create a class myDatbase with different methods connect,
>
> Well it is Pro*C not ProC++. And besides, what methods are you going to put
> for you embedded SELECT statement? You don't want to make a new connection for
> each SELECT statement do you?

hmm, no I would only have one instance of the class....I was aiming for capsulate away all the proC code away and be able to have methods like this:

//at the beginning of the program
myDatabase->connect()

//will execute a select statement fetching all employees for a specific departmet
myDatabase->fetchEmployee( departNo)

//now get the first of the employees (which are stored in some internal vector in the class)
myEmp = myDatabase->getFirstEmployee()

//at the end
myDatabase->disconnect()

Thinking about it, I am not sure if there will be a huge advantage compared to having global functions, but the possiblity to have information stored in a class would be nice, but..hm...I have to think about it a bit :)
I mean, basically I can create my class and make only this class use the functions.. Received on Fri Jun 27 2003 - 03:25:20 CDT