Re: Pro*C makes executable very large?

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:46:49 GMT

Mike Smith wrote:
> Hi, I tried some simple code (C++) to try out ProC on hp-ux,
> and I end up with an executable of size 5 Mb (!) when I compiled the
> code.

That sounds about right.

> Is there anyway to reduce this size (I pretty much linked to all
> libraries to be able to compile the thing), should I be worried about
> this size?
>
> I am also looking for some sample code in C++ to use Pro*C, is it not
> possible to create a class myDatbase with different methods connect,

Well it is Pro*C not ProC++. And besides, what methods are you going to put for you embedded SELECT statement? You don't want to make a new connection for each SELECT statement do you?

> disconnect etc, instead of having global functions.
>
> thanks for any help or pointers on useful info on pro*c
>
> (we use oracle 8.something)

The manual may suggest options for using a shared library (a DLL for windows programmers). I don't have mine handy to look it up. I wouldn't really worry about the size unless you are going to have lots of proC programs running. Then the shared library option makes more sense (one copy loaded in memory shared by multiple application programs).

HTH

--
Ed Prochak
running    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/