Re: OCI (8.1.6) documentation? (for a C++ programmer)

From: Peter Vos <peter.vos_at_dns.be>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:04:52 +0200

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:58:36 +0000, Brian Peasland wrote:

> OCI might be more than you need. Have you looked at using Pro*C instead?
> You can write "cleaner" code without getting bogged down in all the OCI
> details.

I'm working on a piece of existing code, which uses OCI calls exclusively, but which has some problems. The decision to use OCI was made because of performance (is it really faster than Pro*C?)
The type of documentation I am looking for, is to see why it makes OCI calls the way it does - which is in some ways a little different from the examples in Oracle's documentation: that does give an overview of OCI calls, and some examples, but I havent't found anything about why one would use multiple connections, contexts, ... and how it relates to efficiency.

> Just a thought,
> Brian

Thanks,
Peter.