Re: 500 users, 10,000 roles: Performance problems to be expected?

From: ThePotPlants <thepotplants_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:59:12 +1200

Andrew is right, I attended a training course with oracle and we specifically covered a similar scenario in the tutorial.

We accesseed the main table thorugh a view, and limited the view to only return specific rows matching the user_id of the person connecting/querying. (I just flicked through my books but couldn't find it.)

But i'm certain it could also be expanded so that the limiting subquery can/could refer to other tables (which would hold information on user_id and group) and allow the user to see data belonging to coworkers of a similar group and/or level.

Views can be a very efficient way of restricting what rows and/or colums a user sees.

Pete