Re: commit or not commit inside a cursor loop

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:29:04 +0200

On Fri, 30 May 2003 09:21:41 +0100, "Andy" <andy.spaven_at_eps-hq.co.uk> wrote:

>The most important point I was
>trying to get across was is that the comment "Data maintained for
>read-consistency purposes in a transaction will NEVER been overwritten" was
>actually incorrect because a rollback segment being so used could be from
>another transaction (and if that transaction has committed then the risk of
>ora-1555 raises it's ugly head).

You don't seem to grasp a rollback segment can handle multiple transaction.
Data in an *ACTIVE* transaction will *NEVER* get overwritten. Anyone saying something else just talks pure plain nonsense. The risk of ora-1555 starts when the active transaction has committed the cursor of the original program still needs data for read consistency purposes.
I don't see why you can maintain the position my assertion is incorrect. It isn't. It is you who doesn't understand how rollback segments work.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri May 30 2003 - 03:29:04 CDT