Re: commit or not commit inside a cursor loop

From: Andy <andy.spaven_at_eps-hq.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:36:33 +0100

Sybrand

I think we're arguing about something we agree on but what we refer to as the active transaction is different.

An ACTIVE transaction (i.e. one that has not committed yet) will hold onto it's rollback segement - we both agree. However an active session (A) could be using rollback information from another transaction (B) (that is making changes to blocks that A will need to read in a read consistent manner). B commits whilst A is still in progress. A can then suffer from ora-1555 as the rollback information for B is now suseptable to being reclaimed by another transaction and overwritten. Do we both agree on this. In the example we're talking about the cursor is effectively (A) and the committed updates are transaction (B).

Andy