Re: Business Intelligence and Software Development

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 16:34:36 GMT

CanztheMoose wrote:

> I am working with a client who is trying to integrate a business
> intelligence component into their overall IT Strategy. They are hung
> up on the issue of parallel development of operational system and
> business intelligence (data warehousing) efforts.
>
> I am under the assumption the BI portion follows the operational
> portion by several months so the operational system can mature. My
> client is under the assumption these two efforts can proceed in
> concert with one another.
>
> Am I wrong in my assumption, and if so what am I missing?
>
> Canzthemoose

There are several decent references on the topic with differences in approach. I happen to like the approach & detail provided in the book:

The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit
authors: Kimball, Reeves, Ross & Thornthwaite publisher: Wiley
ISBN: 0-471-25547-5 My general impression - a warehouse (or any BI environment) is subject to change over time, simply because the decision makers who rely on the results being provided by the environment will not stay static in their decision process. Hence the need for as life *cycle*.

IMHO, the analysis of both systems can be started in parallel. However, the analysis of the BI environment should be expected to last until relatively far into the operational system's development cycle, in part for the maturity you mention. Received on Wed May 21 2003 - 11:34:36 CDT