Re: newbie-desc command

From: andrewst <member14183_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:35:11 +0000

Originally posted by Sybrand Bakker
> "Me" wrote in message
> fv5ro9n7qso72n8ilrhjfjdrm_at_4ax.com[/url]...
> > In Oracle SQL* Plus desc command give the information of a table
> but
> > how does one know which is the primary key?
> > I am sorry if this has been already asked and answered
> here.
> > Thanks in advance.
>

> By querying
> select constraint_name from user_constraints where table_name = '' and
> constraint_type = 'P'
>
> There is a reference manual with a full break down of all the
> dictionary
> views. Please use it, before you come boring and will be ignored.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA
>
> to reply remove '-verwijderdit' from my e-mail address

I fully endorse the idea that people should read the manuals and they will learn a lot. However, we should remember that sometimes these people are "newbies" as "Me" claims to be. How is a total newbie expected to know that the way to find out the primary key of a table is not via the DESC command (which shows SOME information about a table), but by selecting from a set of views documented in the Oracle Database Reference manual (not in the SQL reference manual for example?) Sometimes people need a gentle nudge in the right direction!