Re: ORA-12545 Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 23:04:52 GMT

bronke_at_gmx.de said...

> "> http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:1090762::NO::F4950_P8
> > _DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:689224851078,
> >
> Okay this I have to read
>

> > What search order do you have specified in your sqlnet.ora file for the
> > NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH entry? If you specify TNSNAMES, what does the
> > applicable tnanames.ora entry contain? If you specify HOSTNAME, what do
> > you get if you type 'hostname' on your target (Win2k PC) in a DOS
> > window? What result do you get if you ping, tnsping and nslookup the IP?
>

> NAMES.DIRECTOY_PATH keeps TNSNAMES first. With all other machines it works
> fine. I can do ping and a tnsping to the misfailure pc but I cannot connect.
> The Database is running, connecting from the machine to the database also
> works fine.
>
> So it look like to be a TCP/IP problem?
>
> Regards Nicolas

Yes, it's DEFINITELY a tcp/ip problem ... or, more precisely, a network problem! The trouble with that statement is that the network world is a very BIG world and tracking down network problems can frustrate even those who deal with it every working day. Fortunately, I don't have to regularly.

Does your listener.log file tell you anything (unlikely, but worth a look). If you have a limited number of connections (too many will overwhelm you with trace files), you can always turn on listener tracing to see if that gives you more info. Turn on listener tracing by adding the following to your listener.ora file (first two params will limit number/size):

  # Limit 5 trace files, each 1000k size. Cycle thru them.

  trace_fileno_listener = 5
  trace_filelen_listener = 1000
  trace_level_listener = admin

I'm going home soon, so hopefully someone else can pick up where I leave off.

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA