Re: ORA-12545 Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 21:19:29 +0200

Karsten Farrell wrote:
> bronke_at_gmx.de said...
>

>>"> http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:1090762::NO::F4950_P8
>>
>>>_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:689224851078,
>>>

>>Okay this I have to read
>>

>>>What search order do you have specified in your sqlnet.ora file for the
>>>NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH entry? If you specify TNSNAMES, what does the
>>>applicable tnanames.ora entry contain? If you specify HOSTNAME, what do
>>>you get if you type 'hostname' on your target (Win2k PC) in a DOS
>>>window? What result do you get if you ping, tnsping and nslookup the IP?
>>

>>NAMES.DIRECTOY_PATH keeps TNSNAMES first. With all other machines it works
>>fine. I can do ping and a tnsping to the misfailure pc but I cannot connect.
>>The Database is running, connecting from the machine to the database also
>>works fine.
>>
>>So it look like to be a TCP/IP problem?
>>
>>Regards Nicolas
>>

> Yes, it's DEFINITELY a tcp/ip problem ... or, more precisely, a network
> problem! The trouble with that statement is that the network world is a
> very BIG world and tracking down network problems can frustrate even
> those who deal with it every working day. Fortunately, I don't have to
> regularly.
>
> Does your listener.log file tell you anything (unlikely, but worth a
> look). If you have a limited number of connections (too many will
> overwhelm you with trace files), you can always turn on listener tracing
> to see if that gives you more info. Turn on listener tracing by adding
> the following to your listener.ora file (first two params will limit
> number/size):
>
> # Limit 5 trace files, each 1000k size. Cycle thru them.
> trace_fileno_listener = 5
> trace_filelen_listener = 1000
> trace_level_listener = admin
>
> I'm going home soon, so hopefully someone else can pick up where I leave
> off.

The HOST does not exist. Somewhere in your tnsnames (if you use that) there's a line that states: host = xxx.domain.com. I have seen networks (yes, in the company I work for), that could not correctlty resolve the fully qualified host name, but did OK with the short name (that is, just the xxx part above). Give it a try, or use the ip-address (which I do not prefer...)

And - last but not least - check for typos...

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel