Re: Interactive Interface for Oracle ?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:39:09 -0700

Comments interspersed.

Joel Garry wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3EA0A3C4.9434FE0_at_exesolutions.com>...
>
> > Your client's lack of a personal life not withstanding ... I don't believe there is a single bit of
> > functionality in Excell that can't be found in all of the major report writing tools.
> >
> > And all without the ability for end-users to corrupt the data.
>
> Now, if you let them do it in the database, that could very well be a
> bad thing!

Report writing is NOT editing/updating.

> The big point you are missing: There are many things that Excel can
> do to manipulate data, and _that is not a bad thing_.

It is if the data is modified.

There are many things a hammer can do to manipulate data too. But that doesn't mean I would apply one if I cared about the quality of what I produced.

> In fact, that
> is the point of spreadsheets, and why they became so popular 20 years
> ago (and some people have resented them as implemented since then,
> myself often included).

Spreadsheets, meaning Lotus 1-2-3 did not become popular because people were dumping information from relational databases and needed a good report writer. I was there with version 1.0a.

Popularity is not a valid criteria from which to formulate any statement unless you are a pollster or politician. Would you rather have a Chevy or a Bentley?

--
Daniel Morgan
(remove one 'x' from my email address to reply)