Re: lock Oracle db objects, but only a lock for others?

From: Eric Fortin <emfortin_at_attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:18:06 GMT

"Eric Fortin" <emfortin_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:rtToa.28437$gK.135442_at_rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net...

> "Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:06:40 GMT, "Eric Fortin" <emfortin_at_attbi.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> > >Again, I think this is clearer and easier to maintain than coded flags.
> > >

> > Good luck then with re-inventing the wheel and trying to screw up
> > Oracle on a structural basis.
> >

> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> >
> > To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address
>
> What's the better solution? And how is that re inventing the wheel. We
> have rows that need to be worked on by a single user and only a single
user
> for extended periods of time. And the table still needs to be accessible
> for other processing. How would you problem solve this? I'd like to see
an
> example or doc on this. I searched tahiti.oracle.com, but kept getting no
> matches.
>
> (We've got users that take a handheld, go out into the field (literally,
> work on pipeline and/or oil wells), and come back 10 hours later. We
don't
> know whether or not they will get one of the jobs, half of the jobs, or
all
> of the jobs done. And we don't know the onsite intangibles. What's wrong
> with setting a column that essentially says, this row is being worked on
and
> must stay in this state until the worker is done). How do you handle this
> scenario in the database without setting something? In this example,
there
> isn't any code variables that can be set. The devices are all
disconnected
> and their own entitiy.
>
> And what about a web data entry form that is accessed by many users? (Say
> an order header form)How do you prevent additional users from over writing
> the changes of the initial user. (user 1 brings up the header info and
> decides he wants to change the credit card information) User 2, working a
> similar problem with all orders, brings up that order screen (and happens
> upon that specific order) and saves it fifteen minutes after user 1 (what
> happens to the credit card information. Which is the correct credit card
> number? the one saved by user 1 or the one saved by user 2). Certainly
> others have come across this problem. (I would bet that the solution
for
> this scenario would apply to the above hand held scenario). How do other
> people do this (assuming that setting a column on that row is the wrong
way
> to go about it, and I know that it causes havoc when the user closes the
web
> browser and the column stays populated)?
>
> What is the right way so I don't create any more problems.

I did finally 'get' it with Data Concurrency and Consistency, ( plus chapter 21, Data Integrity). I assume this is the correct path to follow?

I will try some of this out and see if it solves my problems.

Here's the doc I am planning to look at:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/c21cnsis .htm#2999

(and the data integrity CH 21). Received on Mon Apr 21 2003 - 10:18:06 CDT