Re: lock Oracle db objects, but only a lock for others?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 08:49:47 -0700

> I'm interested how many of the dba's here agree that the front end
> developers should stop error handling their code. I'd be interested to hear
> how many of the end users would agree with this philosophy. Usually
> developers are flamed because they don't error handle.
>
> Someone should inform oracle to update their java and vb tutorials, too,
> because that's how I (and others, I assume) learned how to handle the
> nagging errors that come up when the world doesn't rotate perfectly. I
> don't mean to be disrespectful, Daniel, if I even sound that way, but I feel
> damned if I do, damned if I don't, and still see no specificity (assuming
> the docs are not the best way to do it) how it should be done.
>
> (However, I don't think it's reasonable or practical to require an out error
> message parameter for when ever an exception is raised. And what about
> triggers... certainly there has to be errorhandling in the front end insert
> case (the user has to know that the insert failed). That's why they have
> raise_application_error.--Also, if your not clear about vb6, without an 'on
> error goto ' and the db raises an exception, the vb app will terminate with
> a run time error)
>
> Perhaps someone can supply a very simple vb6 module with the correct way (as
> the one I posted, from oracle, appears not the best way) Or perhaps Daniel
> and I disagree on semantics. When I see the on error goto..., as far as the
> db stuff is concerned I would just present the message returned (in the
> oracle error object, like the oracle code does), but also clean up the work
> started in the module but not complete.)
>
> I hear I'm wrong,
> I showed you what oracle's doc said.
> Please show me what's right.
>
> With oracle, I have to deal with insert, update, delete, procs, functions,
> and triggers, just the simplest stuff oracle has to offer.

I would be too. But I would prefer that they address what I said rather than your reinterpretation of what I said.

I did not say that front-ends should not have error handling code. A front-end without error handling code isn't worth the electrons it was built from.

What I said was that database errors should be handled in the database and the front-end only used to display the reuslting message.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Apr 21 2003 - 10:49:47 CDT