Re: Is my database still recoverable

From: Edward J. Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 07:00:36 GMT

cpchan wrote:
> I did a backup and restore process on an Oracle 8i RDBMS (only the user data
> directory, not included the program directory) running on SUN Solaris 9
> machine with the following 2 commands :
>
> tar -cvf /dev/rmt/0 <the directory of user data record>
>
> tar -xvf /dev/rmt/0 <the same directory>
>
> But since this was my first time to do Oracle backup and restore with tar
> command, I had not shutdown the database during the process, that means
> throughout the whole processes, the database was open.
>
> After that, I started it with 'startup open' command, it said : media
> recovery is required, and said 'system01.dbf needs recovered'.
>
> Someones told me this was a very serious problem and was impossible to fix
> it with just one or two commands.
> Is this true ?
> Can you tell me what things should I do now ?
> Or, are there any documents on the internet or metalink talking about this
> problem and teach us how to fix it though the process may be quite
> complicated.
> Thanks.
>
> By the way, we also use Oracle 11i Application, Oracle Finance.

Why are you doing this?
When are you going to talk to a real DBA?

If you are the DBA for Oracle at your firm, then you need to:

0 get a contract DBA in to keep things running while you learn what you need to know
1 Read the Oracle Concepts manual and the DBA manuals (three volumnes IIRC) 2 get some training in ORACLE

If you are playing with a production system, you are playing with fire. (If production crashes without backups, the consequences for you and your company can be devastating.)

Reply by email and maybe I can help.

--
Edward J. Prochak   --- Magic Interface, Ltd.
Ofc: 440-498-3700   --- 7295 Popham Place, Solon, OH 44139