Are package bodies encrypted?

From: Thomas T <T_at_T>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:21:56 -0400

Just starting to experiment with packages... and was looking at the few Oracle packages in my Oracle 8.1.7 test server. Are the package bodies encrypted? I can see the Package Spec for DBMS_ALERT, but when I click on the Package Body for DBMS_ALERT, it seems to be encrypted?

I'm guessing encryption because if I look at the HTP package spec and body, I can see all the procedures and functions.

Were they encrypted using the DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT? If so, can I decrypt them back to see what's in there?

Or are these not encrypted, but compiled, and I won't be able to see my own source code? I'd hate to define a package spec and package body, and then not be able to look at the code for my procedures. Seems strange that most of these built-in packages have hidden bodies, and the rest are visible. I tried a web search, but either nobody's asked this question yet, or I can't find the proper phrase to search for.

I think it's about time I go pick up the Oracle 9i PL/SQL Programming book; hopefully it's more advanced then the PL/SQL v2.2 book I have (written in 1995 for Oracle 7)! The book only has 16 pages of coverage. Or, is there another book that explains more of the PL/SQL and package details... like, maybe a book designed for the OCP exams? (There's nothing I hate more than buying a book, only to find out that I know half of it, and of the other half, 1/3 contains topics that I'd never use.)

One more question; can I migrate existing procedures into a package? Or do I just copy the code into a new package body, and then delete the original stand-alone procedure?

Thanks!

-Thomas Received on Fri Apr 11 2003 - 11:21:56 CDT