Re: Are package bodies encrypted?

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 19:54:36 GMT

T_at_T said...
> Just starting to experiment with packages... and was looking at the few
> Oracle packages in my Oracle 8.1.7 test server. Are the package bodies
> encrypted? I can see the Package Spec for DBMS_ALERT, but when I click on
> the Package Body for DBMS_ALERT, it seems to be encrypted?
>
> I'm guessing encryption because if I look at the HTP package spec and body,
> I can see all the procedures and functions.

<snip>

> Thanks!
>
> -Thomas

You are seeing the difference between open source and proprietary. I think the feature was added way back in Oracle7 because several VARs demanded a way to keep snoopers and corporate spies from stealing their work.

If Oracle considers that the contents of their packages contain proprietary info, they'll encrypt (wrap) the PL/SQL code before distributing it. Under normal conditions, you cannot decode the encrypted version ... unless, of course, you follow the same steps that hackers of executables follow.

You, of course, can encrypt your own procedures and packages. There's a program, $ORACLE_HOME/bin/wrap, made especially for this (wrap might have version numbers after its name, depending on your Oracle version).

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA