Re: Oracle ODBC newline character translation

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 21:30:25 +0200

Martin v. Weymarn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having a problem with the translation of newline/return
> characters in my returned data. Our company is using a web-based
> application in which users enter data that gets written to an Oracle
> database. I am querying that database directly through Excel using an
> ODBC connection.
>
> Special characters are coming through just fine so I think I am on the
> right track regarding the character set. However at the end of each
> paragraph Excel shows a small rectangle character (don't know the
> code). Is there some way to filter these out, preferrable through a
> setting in the ODBC driver? I have not been able to find any
> information regarding the Translation Options setting in the driver.
>

> I am running Oracle ODBC version 8.01.78.00 to connect to an Oracle
> 7.3 database running on a UNIX server. Excel version is 2000. In the
> registry, NLS-LANG is set to AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P15.
>
> Unfortunately I did not find any solution to this problem on the web
> or the newsgroups, that's why I am asking here...
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Martin.

I think both previous posters are wrong. The moment uou mentioned the little rectangle I thought Unix to Windows. 2 lines further down you confirm this.

It's a DOS thing: It relies on a CR/LF for an end-of-line, where unix uses CR (of LF - the chr(10) anyway). If you do a replace(chr(10), chr(10)||chr(13)) you will see a major change. On WindBlows, you can replace them (copy rectangle, search, press enter on all found, and use F3 to find next).

To prove the point: after all rectangles are gone, you owill get a found character at the end of every line.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel