Re: I should report this egotistical response I received

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 19:44:04 +0300

"amanda" <amanda94621_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bbea23b7.0303220222.2c1beeea_at_posting.google.com...

> Are you implying that someone used that guy's account and sent me
> that RUDE email? Well...that's not the case because he sent me another
> email saying that he was my post about his email..blah..blah...blah

You should understand that one can send an email or a newsgroup post specifying ANY address as sender's address, without any need to have access to the corresponding account. It may not even exist. That's what spammers do. Of course, analysis of the message headers can reveal where the message was originated from, but not from who, unless you will trace back the originator's IP address and somehow make the entity owning this address to disclose information on who's using that host. But even this information will be insufficient if that host was actually abused, that is, the originator does not own nor operate this host legally. Anyway, do NOT rely on email address you see in your email/news reader as reliable source of information on sender.