Re: [Help] Becoming a DBA - where to begin?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 17:34:11 GMT

Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> I'm now gaining interest in learning about what is involved in becoming a
> Database Administrator (DBA). I'm in the Boston, MA area.

Congratulations. Your background should help you get started. However, there are literally hundreds of interpretations of the role of a DBA and I strongly suggest you select one, or a few, to get started. One of the most comprehensive discussions on the role, that I have seen, is Chapter 1 of Oracle9i Database Administrator's Guide (current version is Release 2 (9.2) Part Number A96521-01). To get that online, go to Oracle's Technology Network (free registration) at http://otn.oracle.com, the 'Documentation' link, go to Oracle9i documentation (release 2), and search for DBA.

> Is certification alone ok? Are there any accredited degree programs?

Debatable. Some employers look at certification, others do not. Since I have seen certification exams with significant and gross errors, I personally believe that anyone who has a certificate simply knows how to pass an exam but may or may not know how to do the job implied by the certificate. Employers differ <shrug>.

But, certification is definitely a decent start.

Again, it depends on what exactly you are trying to accomplish in your career as a DBA.

> What are the real differences among becoming Oracle, Informix, and/or SQL
> certified?

The real differences are in the details. In general, the concepts are basically the same - trying to provide accurate and timely manipulation/access to data using a variation of the Entity Relationship model or it's UML offspring. The devil's in the details - each vendor has their own implementation. Each implementation requires a different thought process (although sometimes very similar to other vendors') to accomplish the same task. You will have seen this a lot in the UNIX/Linux world as well, after all Linux/Solaris/HP-UX/AIX all do exactly the same thing but slightly differently. (Boy did I create a possible flame war opening here <g>)

> Is there any kind of generic dba credential which can encompass
> everything?

This becomes a philosophy question ... for your personal healthcare - would you consider having a 'General Practitioner' handle everything, including open heart surgery? Flip side, do you need (or want) a surgeon to prescribe the antibiotics for an ear infection? Sometimes this is a matter of personal taste and/or trust.

> Any websites, email lists, etc would be very helpful, too.

Lots. Each vendor has some interesting sites - I personally look to Oracle's OTN a lot, but then again I spend a lot of time in, and around Oracle products. Others will have many, many suggestions. Do you Google????

> Looking to educate myself in the dba world.
>
> Thanks for any leads.
>
> Scott

Good luck.
/Hans

BTW: Your cross posting will probably result in some 'my vendor has a bigger/better/faster ...' or other vendor-based religious wars. In the future, suggest you ask the question on the individual group & compile the answers yourself. (And yes, this comment will probably result in both "it's legit" and "never cross-post" flames <g>) Received on Sat Mar 22 2003 - 11:34:11 CST