Re: Help ? .... Installation of Oracle on Solaris 8 Sparc E250

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 14 Mar 2003 17:40:38 -0800

spierce_at_sigecom.net (Steve Pierce) wrote in message news:<3e722b8b.335186983_at_news.sigecom.net>...
> Thank you very much for your oppresive "vote of confidence" ... I am
> not incompenent ... I am looking for a litlle mentoring here, is that
> not the purpose of newsgroups ? Collaberating and sharing ?

Yes, it is, but don't let the ocassional usenuttiness get you down. Sybrand does happen to have a point, but I think you have every right to muddle through on your own. But you have a steep learning curve ahead.

You can go to google and count. I dunno what the story is with comp.database.oracle and comp.databases.oracle has been superceded as doc'd: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry/oraclech.htm

> I would think a Senior Oracle DBA would be a little more courteous
> .. maybe I should report you to Oracle.

See http://bofh.ntk.net/Bastard.html for an idea what things were like before the dot.bomb s/operator/DBA/ :-)

Oracle doesn't give a hoot about any of this stuff! People just laugh (and not with you!) at those sort of comments.

> Would anyone else like to help me in a more professional manner ?

Many people would. There are environment variables like TEMPDIR to be set for temp files - and see /var/tmp. Be sure to set up routine cleaning of /var.

Also google for SAME and RAID in the cdo* groups.