Re: sql statement for update operation needed

From: Valentine Gogichashvili <valgog_at_biofrontera.de>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:23:20 +0100

Hi, it should not be very difficult if you want to do it only once, to make the tables consistent.

It can be done quite a several ways, one that is most easy but not a beautiful one

update nics:
  set nics.sys_id = (select systems.sys_id from systems where systems.systemname = nics.name)

another way (this will only work if you have primary keys properly assigned) is:
update (select nics.*, systems.sys_id system_sys_id from systems, nics where systems.systemname = nics.name ) system_nic_view  set system_nic_view.sys_id = system_nic_view.system_sys_id

But anyway, this kind of thing should not appear in a real system. Even when you import something from outside (log file for example) you should use triggers and bind the tables with appropiate constraints and primary-foreigh key structures.

Respectfully,

Valentine Gogichashvili