Re: Generate a CRUD matrix

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 4 Mar 2003 07:08:06 -0600

On 28 Feb 2003, david_at_fitzg.com wrote:
> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
>

>> You can audit insert, update, and delete (triggers and
>> audit). But select? You really don't want to go there.

> I think you misunderstand slightly... I don't want to see every
> select, insert, undate or delte -- all I want to know is if
> that table was accessed whatsoever during a given session.
>
> This is the scenario... I have a database which has loads of
> redundant tables, but I don't know which ones.

How do you know there are "loads" if you don't even no "which ones"?

> I want to run a functional test and see what tables it needs to
> have populated. Once I have gone through all my functional
> tests I can drop tables which have had no activity on them
> whatsoever.

Slow down there Rambo. A production database is just that, production. "Cleaning up production" is something which needs, to use your words, LOADS of testing.

> Because of the nature of the application, most of the table
> accesses are select's. So, if I could see that tables a, b, and
> d all had select's run against them, but table c did not I
> could then infer that table c is redundant.

So, when the big boss, who doesn't log on too often, finally logs on to see something and his table is gone, what you gonna say then?

You know what you do? Once you have figured everything out and tested it thoroughly, you disable access to the tables and then you leave them around, for a looooooong time.

--
Galen Boyer