Re: Newbie: User needs to change password

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Feb 2003 10:18:31 -0800

"Patrick L. Nolan" <pln_at_cosmic.stanford.edu> wrote in message news:<b3elbc$dfn$1_at_news.Stanford.EDU>...
> Have mercy. We're starting to learn Oracle 9.0.1 here.
> Until now I have done everything from the DBI account,
> since I was working alone. Now there's somebody else
> and we want to set up user accounts properly. I made
> one for the new guy with
> create user joeuser identified by <password>;
> So far so good. I can modify the password with ALTER
> USER. But it seems like good practice to allow him to
> set his own password. I can't figure out how to do
> that. Probably it would require granting him some
> privilege or role, but I haven't been able to figure
> out which one. Can someone illuminate me?

Just granting create and alter session will do it. Here's how,

SQL> connect sys/xxxxx as sysdba
Connected.

SQL> create user foo identified by foo;

User created.

SQL> grant create session to foo;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> grant alter session to foo;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> connect foo/foo
Connected.
SQL> alter user foo identified by new_foo;

User altered.

SQL> connect foo/new_foo
Connected.
SQL> connect sys/xxxxx as sysdba
Connected.
SQL> drop user foo;

User dropped.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Tue Feb 25 2003 - 12:18:31 CST